So many of us resolve to get organized each year, but it feels impossible to get started. Here are the basic steps that almost every organizer follows, and if you take it slowly, you can make it happen!
- Have a vision for the space you’re organizing (even your computer).
- Make sure it’s a realistic vision based on size.
- Sort everything into categories.
- If you’re not sure what categories to use, start with broad ones, like bills and get more specific as needed.
- Yes – you will have to make a bigger mess before it gets better…that’s part of the process.
- Purge duplicates and unnecessary items. Here are some bags/boxes you’ll want to have on hand:
- Friends & Family (for items to return or give away to specific people)
- Move – (for items to be moved to other parts of the house)
- Recreate your space.
- Compare your kept items to your storage space, and begin putting things back.
- This is when you can finally buy those containers you’ve been dying to get.
Remember that organizing is not one-size-fits-all. If you sincerely try a system for at least a month and it doesn’t work – you are not the problem, the system is! Take what worked and keep it, and replace what didn’t work.
If you find that you have questions along the way, please give us a call at 636-410-9212.